I am an economic geographer interested in development and globalisation studies, engaging in three fields of research:
- food systems and food sovereignty,
- urban spaces and metropolitan development,
- mobilities and markets.
- Education – Studies: Geography, Social Anthropology, Middle East Studies (Marburg, Freiburg, Damascus)
- PhD and Habilitation in Geography in Freiburg
- Research in Sudan (1986/87), Egypt (1991-1994), USA (1996; 1998) and New Zealand (2003; 2009/10)
- Visiting Professor at the Henry M. Jackson School for International Studies, University of Washington, USA (1998)
- Professor (since 1999) Oriental Institute / Geography, Leipzig University
- Executive Director, Institute for Middle East Studies“ (rotating)
- Visiting Researcher at the School of Geography, Geology and Environmental Science, University of Auckland, New Zealand (2003; 2009-2010)
- Managing Director of the Collaborative Research Centre “Difference and Integration” (2007-2013)
- Chair in Geography and Gutenberg-Fellowship, University of Mainz (offer rejected, 2014)
Scientific Board Member:
Max Weber Foundation: German Social Research Institutes Abroad (Beirut/Istanbul); French Foreign Ministry (Pôle ESPAR)
; Centre of Area Studies, Leipzig; Graduate School, Critical Junctures of Globalization; ASA-Programme of Carl Duisberg Society; PhD Graduate Programme Transnationalization and Regionalization, Leipzig; Board Member and Executive Director of the Collaborative Research Centre Difference and Integration.
German Research Foundation (DFG); German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD); Leibniz Association; Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes; Alexander von Humboldt Foundation; French Foreign Ministry; University of Auckland, and the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Wednesday 11:00 – 12:00 after notice in advance (secretariat: Ms. Christine Müller) or by personal arrangement
+49 341 97 32960
Institut für Geographie
D – 04103 Leipzig